Thursday, May 31, 2007

5/31 Started COPAXONE today!!

Yup, it is glass syringes pre-filled with COPAXONE every day from now until.... well, who knows.

I had my appointment this morning on how to administer COPAXONE (medication that helps to manage an individual's relapsing-remitting MS by reducing the frequency of relapses).

I know this will be a surprise to read, but I was more anxious about just administering the stuff correctly...not that there was a needle involved - seriously. I imagine, considering what this last month's (4/07-5/07) doctor visits and testing consisted of, I was getting use to needles as long as I didn't look at the needles. I never thought I would say/admit that!

Anyway, the needle is injected subcutaneously (just below the skin), so it doesn't go in very far. It helps that the syringe is 'hidden' in the injector gun and that the needle is very thin. I really did not feel the needle go in, so after I did it I said, "oh, I can do this." What a relief! I noticed an odd feeling after the medication was injected, but not too different than when you get a vaccination or what not (i.e. the area of injection feels warm to the touch, redness and sore). That odd feeling is a common short-term reaction patients report right after injecting COPAXONE. Symptoms generally appear within minutes of an injection, last about 15 minutes, and go away by themselves without further problems.

I have the results from the MRIs that were done on 5/23 but I need to look at them and get some assistance at translating the results :) I will post them once they make sense to me. The nurse who taught me how to inject the Copaxone noticed the the EEG results were in my folder, but after looking through the copies I got, those results were not included.

No comments: